RE: [OM] Four Years & A Rubber Ring

Subject: RE: [OM] Four Years & A Rubber Ring
From: Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 21:12:36 +1100
Kelton wrote:

> 3) A sad story -- thought I'd pick up another Zuiko today, the 35-70
> f/3.6 zoom. Seemed reasonable for $225 U.S., the proprietor
> of the camera
> store told me it was "minty." When I got there, I saw a lens
> with mint
> glass, near-mint body, and what looked like a blown-out tire for the
> rubber focus and zoom rings. That's right, the rubber rings were
> perforated, slashed, and hanging together like a deteriorated rubber
> band, although the 'diamond points' of the rubber focus ring
> were still
> sharp from lack of use. I did not buy it. But still, I
> wonder, is this
> the future for every Zuiko lens? Is it inevitable that the rubber
> focus/zoom rings will deteriorate and fall off all our
> beloved lenses?

The worst I have seen are focussing rings which get a little loose and slip,
this has happened to my oldest Zuikos.

> (Are there replacements?)

Don't know.

 What would cause this rapid rubber
> deterioration, when the rest of the lens looked great? What
> can be done
> to keep the rubber in good shape? I certainly don't want the
> rest of my
> collection looking like THAT, if at all possible.

I have a feeling that exposure to excess heat for a long period might do it,
e.g. keep it in a car in the open for a week or two like we've just had
here.  This probably stuffs the cement used in any of the cemented elements
and causes the lubricants to get runny and move around (diaphragm blades,
etc.) as well.

> Well, it's good to be back, and good to have found you people
> again. Long
> Live Olympus.

Welcome back.