Re: [OM] OM4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:02:11 -0800
>From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Terry and Tracey wrote:
>
>> >By your definition the 2's and 4's do, because when the OTF cell decides
>> >exposure is enough, it quenches the flash and closes the second curtain
>> >at the same time.
>>
>> When a dedicated flash is used, the shutter speed is locked to 1/60. The
>> flash may quench, but the shutter speed is still 1/60.
>
>No, that's not true. According to both the OM-4 instruction book
>and Huber's book on the OM-2SP (see the FAQ), the shutter closes
>at the same time as the flash is quenched. That's why the camera
>ignores the set shutter speed.

You're both right. When the shutter closes because of the flash quenching,
the shutter speed happens to be 1/60th!

I have a minor nit with saying "the shutter speed is locked," however. If
the flash's entire dump isn't enough light, the shutter will remain open
until enough additional light enters to satisfied its hunger. (Or until it
dies of light-starvation in a couple minutes, or until you say "oops!" and
switch it to manual...)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229