[OM] Four Years & A Rubber Ring

Subject: [OM] Four Years & A Rubber Ring
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:10:46 -0800
>From: kelton <kelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Forgive me for I have sinned -- it has been four years since my last
>posting to the Olympus list...

Welcome back!

>3) A sad story... what looked like a blown-out tire for the
>rubber focus and zoom rings. That's right, the rubber rings were
>perforated, slashed, and hanging together like a deteriorated rubber
>band, although the 'diamond points' of the rubber focus ring were still
>sharp from lack of use... What would cause this rapid rubber
>deterioration, when the rest of the lens looked great?

My guess is exposure to an organic solvent, possibly benzene. Maybe it was
stored at a gas station for years?

I have lenses over 25 years old that show none of these symptoms. They have
not been particulary well cared for, either!

>What can be done
>to keep the rubber in good shape?

Keep them away from benzene, for one! Perhaps Armor-all, which is used for
auto dashes and vinyl?

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229