Re: [OM] Using tubes with 50mm F1.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Using tubes with 50mm F1.8
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 00:48:37 -0800
You can get credible results from this combination.  Not spectacular, but
I'd never advise you not to pursue it.

The biggest problem you'll have is lack of depth of field.  The normal 50mm
lens has a curved plane of focus.  For normal scenes, it makes no
difference.  Up close, the whole frame can not focus together.  Either the
center is sharp and the edges go soft or the edges are sharp and the center
goes soft.  Can't get it both ways.  Macros are designed to minimize this
effect.

Another low cost item to consider is a set of close-up lenses. These are
like filters in that they simply screw onto the front of the lens, but they
allow closer than normal focusing distances.  Also, a lens reversing ring,
an adapter than allows the lens to be mounted backwards, can expand your
capabilities at very low cost.

food for thought.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"

Frank Costa <red_rover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wondered: