[OM] Lens test: 24mm f/2.0 Zuiko (vs. f/2.8)

Subject: [OM] Lens test: 24mm f/2.0 Zuiko (vs. f/2.8)
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 04:18:25 EST
Here is my first test of a sub 35mm fast wide angle.  I'm posting it along
with the previously tested f/2.8, since most folks will be interested in
seeing a comparison of the two lenses (a frequently asked question on the
List).

As a lens for available light photography, I wouldn't recommend the 24mm f/2.0
at maximum aperture.  The vignetting is pronounced and the image quality is,
well, at the risk of getting flamed, I'll let the grades speak for themselves.
On the other hand, the images at f/5.6 get as contrasty as a Zuiko can get and
the viewfinder image is a delight to focus - it actually has a snap at
critical focus

24mm f/2.0 Zuiko (multi-coated)
Vignetting = C @ f/2, B @ f/2.8
Distortion = pronounced waveform
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/2       C-        D-
f/2.8     B         C
f/4       B+        B
f/5.6     A         B+
f/8       A         A-
f/11      B+        A
f/16      B         B
Note: Easy to focus due to bright viewfinder image.  Lens hood selection
critical since vignetting not predictable in viewfinder.  Very contrasy image
at f/5.6, contrasty at other apertures.

24mm f/2.8 Zuiko (single-coated)
Vignetting = B
Distortion = slight pincushion (none?)