Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 08:01:26 -0800
Wayne Harridge wrote:

>I have found a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm zoom, and am wondering whether to
>purchase it. What are your opinions on the quality of this lens ?
>How does $AU140 (=$US90) sound for this lens ?

This is a terrific lens.  It's fast (F2.8-3.5), rather heavy, a one-touch
vario-focal(!) design.  Clean samples normally sell in the US for $150 and
up.  Filter size is 67mm.  Must use thin filters, or vignetting will ensue
at 28mm.

Sharpness and contrast are excellent, distortion is typical of this type
of zooms.  Color rendition is on the cool side -- closer to N*kkors than
to Zuikos, but is easily corrected with a SKY (1B) filter.

Two variations on the above zoom are: Kiron 28-85/f2.8-3.8 and Vivitar
28-85/f2.8-3.8.  Except for their external finish, these two are identical,
and both are very very similar to the Series 1 lens, but usually sell for
less.  The non-Series 1 Vivitar version is a particularly good value.

Good luck,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx