Re: [OM] ZUIKO 90mm / f2 macro lens

Subject: Re: [OM] ZUIKO 90mm / f2 macro lens
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 22:03:22 -0700
At 12:06 PM 06/02/99 -0800, John Hudson wrote:
>One of Vancouver's premier camera outlets tells me that they have not sold
>a 90mm / f2 macro lens in years and have not seen a used copy in their
>second hand department in years as well.

John, what Denton wrote.  Most Canadian camera stores -- even the so-called
"premier" ones -- are but poor cousins to their really muscular U.S. relatives.
 With the possible exception of Henry's in Toronto, there isn't a camera store
in Canada that can touch a place like B&H in New York.  I've scoured 'em from
Toronto west to Vancouver, and only a couple even come close: Camtech in
Calgary and McBain's in Edmonton are good ones.  There's also one in downtown
Van (the name escapes me for the moment) across the street from Pacific Centre
and a few blocks south of Canada Place, where the boxes are piled high and I
even found a new OM-3Ti and OM-4Ti as well as the OM-2000 and a few lenses.
But even in these places, Oly stuff is normally a special order.

>Is this lens a rarity or is it a prized possession. If one did turn up used
>in good condition what would be a reasonable price to pay? If the lens does
>not surface in the regular main street photo trade are there any
>suggestions for alternative legitimate sources of supply?

Compared to other Zuikos, it's rare, but not *that* rare (it certainly isn't in
the upper atmosphere the way the 24mm shift is, for example).  For reasons
which I was never able to fathom, Olympus equipment never really caught on in
Canada with the exception of their point-'n-shoot line.

I got my 90/2.0 macro used in mint condition from a gent in New York state
called Paul Tokarowski (he occasionally monitors this list, I b'lieve).
They're around, but if you can't wait, phone up B&H and bite the bullet.  Even
with our Third-World-like exchange rate, you will *not* regret it.  It'll only
hurt for a bit.  8^>

Garth Wood
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/