Re: [OM] more about DEET

Subject: Re: [OM] more about DEET
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 17:43:33 -0800
Slightly different chemical, but anyone remember this old one?:

A mosquito was heard to exclaim,
"A chemist has poisoned my brain."
The source of his sorrow
Was simply dichloro-
diphenyl-trichloro-ethane.

(or DDT for short  :-)

>> sounds like some nasty substance we don't use in the UK.

>Oh yes you do.  Anything that has any sort of effectiveness in warding off
>midges probably has DEET in it.  Diethyl toluamide - or something sounding
>like that.

In the U.S, before DEET, there was Woodsman's Fly Dope.  It was some kind
of pine tar product, I think.  It was pretty effective.  I don't think it
ate the rubber off of Zuiko lenses (OM Content).  It kept insects away.
But it also kept people away, because it **STANK**.  On the trail, you
could smell someone wearing it a mile away.  Hikers breathed much easier
after DEET came on the market.

----