Re: [OM] ZUIKO 90mm / f2 macro lens

Subject: Re: [OM] ZUIKO 90mm / f2 macro lens
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 10:00:05 -0700
At 07:07 AM 07/02/99 -0800, John Hudson wrote:

[snip]

>I write from Vancouver ..... BC that is.  If there is a camera shop across
>the street from Pacific Centre it's new to me and I am down there quite
>frequently but then I am not looking for cameras all the time.

It's a little hole-in-the-wall with really high-quality new (and some used)
equipment, and when I said the boxes were piled high, I meant it.  I'd have to
dig out my downtown Van map to try and "reconstruct" exactly where it is -- the
first time I ran into it was purely by accident (I was lost in Pacific Centre
and "surfaced" to try and get my bearings -- lo and behold, there it was!
Funny little place with a name like "Pacific Pro" or somesuch...).  The Pacific
Centre exit I used had a camera shop in the Centre near the exit, if that helps
(don't remember its name, either, but they had a new-in-the-box Zuiko 35mm
shift lens when I was last there in October '98, for just over a grand CDN...)

>If you rate camera stores like Chapters, Costco and Walmart in terms of
>size and volume I guess you have to go to NYC, LA or Chicago. However,
>Vancouver does have some very respectable photo outlets with knowledgeable
>staff and quality service.

Didn't say Van didn't.  They just don't really compare to places like Henry's
or B&H, is all.  The problem with offering pro-level equipment for all these
places is that the margins on the equipment is low, so you have to do a *lot*
of volume.  B&H does a *lot* of volume.  With a population base in the high
seven figures and a large and well-established professional base in the area,
B&H can afford to, and that's not counting their mail-order empire.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/