Re: [OM] Tamron SP 400/f4 etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron SP 400/f4 etc.
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 20:50:42 -0800
Ulf Westerberg wrote:

>I've just returned from two days shooting with this lens. I decided I
>couldn't hold back the urge to go out and field test it, in actual use
>rather than doing proper tests (I'm happy Gary did!).

Oh no, no!  The tests I reported on were _field_ tests, i.e. we shot
real landscape, not artificial standard lens test targets.  Last Thurs.,
we had one of our famous crystal-clear winter days.  On a day like this,
you can see from atop the Griffith Observatory both the Catalina Island
and the snow covered San Bernardino mountains (about 60-70 miles away).

Sooo, that's exactly where Steve and I spread out our photo gear.
For a target, we chose a group of houses, trees, and other geometric
and amorphous objects dispersed more or less evenly across the frame,
such that both the picture center and its edges could be examined and
later compared for sharpness and contrast.

Btw, all my tests are only valid at daylight.  I'll wait till summer to
repeat this exercise at night, and test the "big guns" for point source
dispersion and chromatic aberration.

>Yesterday I made a hike of 7-8 kilometers with the lens and Manfrotto
>tripod through hail and sunshine (I regularly do this hike) and the
>funny thing was, I hardly felt the extra weight.

Ulf, you're "Da Man"!  I was all sweaty and tired after just _reading_
the above paragraph :-) :-)

Of course, I _drove_ up to Griffith Observatory in my car, and Steve met
me there in his truck.  But hey -- this is LA, where even the homeless
have cars :-)

Jan Decher wrote:

>The results on the Tamron 4/400 are very exciting.  I was offered the lens
>in Minneapolis a few years ago, but $1200 seemed a lot then.

Nowadays, $1200 would be considered a bargain. I looked it up: in 1989-90,
the 400/4 sold new for $1750-1850 mail order. Now, the asking price for one
of these used is $1600-1700.

>I would really like to know how the current 5.6/400 Novoflex follow focus
>would compete against the Tamron.

According to Novoflex web site: http://www.novoflex.de (only in German?!),
in Europe the list price of their 400/5.6 (lens only!) is DM3000/US$1800.
Dunno how much it would cost in the US.  I'd LOVE to test the Novoflex
against the Tamron 400/4.  Soooo, any Novoflex owners in SoCal?

Warren Kato wrote:

>How often do Tamron 400/4s turn up?

Oh, about as often as we have a discussion on DEET on the OLY list, and
thank God and the list members for the infrequency of the latter :-).
Are you, or any other Zuik, looking for one?

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx