Re: [OM] Rangefinder versus SLR "F stop" Advantage???

Subject: Re: [OM] Rangefinder versus SLR "F stop" Advantage???
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Feb 1999 15:45:57 +1000
ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

>     My question is this, is there an advantage held by rangefinders due to
> their lack of mirror bounce that is significant (and I include the Contax G1

I'd be loath to give a general rule in stops (and I suspect the old
rule of thumb is a load of bollocks anyway).

Using a (45mm lens) rangefinder free-standing I've been able to get
away with 1/15 second using a rangefinder.  I doubt I'd have gotten
recognisable results using an SLR in the same conditions.

In other circumstances (crouched against a rock with elbows on knees)
I've used a 50mm lens at 1/15 sec with my OM-1 and got a good image.

I've also gotten shitawful results trying to repeat either of the
above---it all depends on so many other factors (including but not
limited to blood-caffeine level).

I reckon take whatever support you can get---shooting unsupported is
always risky (but take the risk anyway if that's the only way to make
the shot).

cjb.

--
     __
    /  \
     ||chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
One more infobahn cliche couldn't hurt...