Re: [OM] Rubber Ring Experiment

Subject: Re: [OM] Rubber Ring Experiment
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 18:29:25 -0500
Regarding this thread, I can offer some _suggested_ recipes based on
work-related experience.  All should prove more durable than a
folded-over Post-It note:

1) There are 2 kinds of 3M double-sided tape used to mount mouldings and
other parts on automobiles, under the "Scotch-mount" brand. Available at
auto parts stores, the foam type comes in grey and white, and the
neoprene-based tape is black.  They have excellent shear strength, and
in the case of a loose focusing ring would be placed partly or fully
around the barrel prior to re-mounting the rubber ring.  These tapes are
about 1/16 inch thick and come in 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4 inch widths.  Both
surfaces need to be cleaned carefully.  (The rubber parts with whatever
is safe, based on the prior posts.)  Don't confuse these with the 3M VHB
tapes ("very high bond")---I can't get them to stick to rubber.

2) There are 2 spray adhesives also by 3M, the 77 and 90 series.  These
are messy and everything except the contact areas have to be masked off.
Basically you spray both surfaces, let stand for 30 sec. or so, then
stick the parts together.  They're agressive, and will leave a residue
if the parts are pulled apart.  You can clean off this residue, along
with most other "goo" with a limonene-based degreaser.

3) A Borden product, called "Stix-All"  It comes in a little tube at
hardware stores.  This is a silicone-looking paste that does an great
job of adhering dissimilar materials.  Not affected by heat. Stronger
than Pliobond, once it has cured in a day or so.

4) "5200" Marine sealant by 3M---won't take to everything, but if it
does, the parts are married for life.  Also, I've never used it on
cameras, but am impressed by it on almost everything else. Get the small
tube, since once opened it's got to be used up.  You can get it at West
Marine or other boating supply stores.  Maybe Denton Taylor knows more
about it.

Your results may vary, and I would test carefully on something of
little  value--another make of camera, maybe--before proceeding.

Morgan Sparks