Re: [OM] Olympus Flash Cube Accessory?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Flash Cube Accessory?
From: Bob Christopher <bc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:35:50 -0700
At 07:23 PM 2/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Interesting.  That was going to be my next question: Since this
>accessory connects to the hot shoe, it should be usable with any
>of the OM-* cameras; but what other parameters (shutter and
>aperture combination) should one set with the flash cubes?  I
>don't recall any guide numbers being published with the flash
>cubes (or any mention of flash cubes in the OM-1 manual either).

Sylvania published the guide numbers for their flash cubes on every
package, just as they did for their AG1 and AG1B bulbs. Flash cube
guide numbers are as follows (For Sylvania Blue Dot/GTE Flashcubes):

                ASA     25-32   40-64   80-125  160-200
Shutter Speed
"X" up to 1/30          55      75      100     130
"M" up to 1/60          36      50      70      90
"M" up to 1/125 30      42      60      75

What is interesting is that these guide number values are consistently
higher than those of the AG1B bulb, the same bulb used in the cube. Perhaps
the reflective backing in the cube provides greater reflecting capability
than the dull aluminum reflectors in AG1 flashers.

Cheers,
  Bob
 Bob Christopher                        Littleton, CO USA
                CHRISTOPHER & ASSOCIATES
                         Est 1979
                         Database
         Development - Programming - Deployment
       email                                website
 mailto:bc@xxxxxxxxx                  http://chisp.net/~bc