Re: [OM] identify this cord, please

Subject: Re: [OM] identify this cord, please
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 10:25:25 -0800
>From: Kenneth Sloan <sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>In my scrounging, I have found on the "useless accessories" bookshelf a
>cord...
>
>One connector fits nicely into the round hole at the bottom of a Winder 1

That would be your standard (well, one of the "standards") DC power supply
plug, but then it gets wierd:

>The other connector has what appears to be a cable release.  It screws
>neatly into the shutter release of an OM1-MD and has a sliding pin
>suitable for releasing the shutter.

Does it have a hard, cylindrical bulge near this end? The only thing I
could think of would be a solenoid shutter release. It would have a coil of
wire (electromagnet) that when energized by putting power on the plug,
forces the pin out to trip the shutter.

If this is true, it may be a collectable or curiosity, but doesn't do
anything your Winder won't do with the proper remote cord.

>When inserted into the Winder, the winder no longer winds (pressing the
>shutter release on the Winder has no effect whatsoever, that I can see).

That's because the jack has a switch that turns off the batteries when you
plug in an external power source.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229