Re: [OM] 50mm metal hood

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm metal hood
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 11:00:37 +0200
>I just bought one of those metal hoods myself and found it to be of much
>higher quality than the rubber push-on hood I used to have for my 2.0/40.
>
>This one has beautiful green engraved numbers stating that it is for the
>1.4/50 and the 1.8/50 Zuiko (and 2.8/35mm, I think) and a very shiny chrome
>base and a solid tightening screw.  It also fits on the 1.8/50 inverted for
>storage - a feature I had almost given up trying to find in the Zuiko line
>of lens hoods.  It seems Olympus went through several phases designing lens
>hoods and there is very little consistency among hoods for different lenses
>and among hoods released at different stages of "Zuiko history".
>Jan

The original concept of the OM-system were metal hoods. Built in for lenses
longer then 100mm (also the first zoom 75-150), push on for 100mm - 35mm
and screw in for all lenses shorter then 35mm. All other types made from
rubber appeared later, for example the original 3,5/28 had a metall hood,
the later 2,8/28 had a rubber hood. BTW have you ever seen one of these
first bags for the OM-1 made from real leather ? I have only the front part
of mine left, because the bottom part was stolen, what a pity.

Matthias