RE: [OM] Fungi in my lens (OT)

Subject: RE: [OM] Fungi in my lens (OT)
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 07:38:11 +0200
>I overheard a conversation at my local repair shop, where the person from
>the repair shop said to a customer that the inside of the lens (some SLR
>lens in this case) has to be thoroughly cleaned as the mould produces
>microscopic spores which float around inside the lens and will "re-infect"
>given the right conditions.  Can't guarantee the accuracy of this, do we
>have any biologists on the list who can verify it ?
>
>...Wayne

I'm a biologist and would say, that this fear is right in principle, but in
practice I'm not sure, if it's possible to clean a lens so thoroughly, that
there will no spores left. So it's more important to keep the lens "dry and
cool". On the other hand, maybe the fungi hadn't the opportunity to produce
spores in its live, probably such fungi appears, when the equipment is
carried in tropical areas and when leaving such areas, the fungi perish.

Matthias