[OM] Re: M.15v Battery Pack Replacement - Soldering ??'s

Subject: [OM] Re: M.15v Battery Pack Replacement - Soldering ??'s
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 12:05:41 EST
Hi All,
I have finally got around to replacing my battery packs in my of M.15V's.
I located some 9 volt rechargeable batteries made by Power Sonic Corp.  They
are Nickel-Metal Hydride, Model PS-TR7, 9 volt, 110mAH.  Made in Germany.
Disassembly of the battery reveals a stack of 7 cells (welded together) made
by Varta.
By removing the plastic and normal connections, all that is needed is to
connect the two packs together top (+) to bottom (-) of each stack and you get
17.8 volts.  The 14 cell stack will just fit between the 1/4 x 20 bracket and
the control end of the housing.  A tight fit, but workable.

My question is: what is the best method for connecting these two stacks
together?

1. I would appreciate some tips on soldering.
I have made up one stack, but my soldering technique leaves something to be
desired.
Here is what I did.
Tinned 4 corners of each - and + cell.  Pushed cells together and placed a
small drop of solder on the tip of the soldering iron and touched the "tinned"
corners for a few seconds.  Great care must be taken to prevent any solder
from getting into the insulator area, between the + & - plates.  (Been there -
done that!)
I have concerns regarding "heating" up the cells being soldered.  Although, a
recharge seems? to put the volts back to normal.

2) I have heard there is a product called "Liquid Solder."  A glue or epoxy?
I have not found any yet, but it is supposed to conduct electricity and seems
like a good alternative for this connection.  Any knowledge of this product
and use in this situation?

All tips would be greatly appreciated.
Buddy Walters