[OM] [OT] Damage!

Subject: [OM] [OT] Damage!
From: srp <cyberoptix@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 09:09:59 -0800
Sorry for the OT; posted in hopes of saving fellow z'junkies future hassle...
Buying is tricky. Selling is easy.
For the record, I have never sold damaged goods. (I am not a crook! <tired
gag nixon impression>)
As a seller, I ship UPS insured for the full amount of the buyer's payment.
Unless the buyer requests shipping via another carrier, but always fully
insured. I prefer UPS for their on-line tracking.
If the buyer claims receipt of damaged goods, he simply contacts UPS
directly and remedies the situation. As a seller, the instant I hand over
the package to UPS, I am in the clear & out of the loop.
<thank you, Mr. Bush>
Granted, unfortunately, this leaves room for the dishonest seller to send &
insure a known defective item. That is up to UPS to ferret out (they
usually ask "is everthing in working order?" or even, "it's not broken, is
it?") and prosecute. I'm sure their bean counters long ago adjusted the
insurance tables to account for this. (please, this is not to some callous
call to spray paint Screw UPS across the universal web).
My point is that I believe Jan, due to his good nature, was unnecessarily
involved.
Up front protection is available so that honest folks don't take it on the
chin.
/srp