Re: [OM] Tamron SP 400/f4 etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron SP 400/f4 etc.
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:02:55 EST
 ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx writes:<<
 The only minor drawback I've found is that the tripod collar mount is
 mounted too far back in the lens, this makes the lens + camera nose-heavy.
 But it's a minor problem,
 Speaking of tripod, the stress on that is considerably larger and my 168
 Manfrotto head with hexa-plates probably has to go. I hope to find an
 as-near-as-good substitute to the Arca Swiss (bank account is terribly low),
 any hints and experiences are greatly appreciated!
 Ulf Westerberg >>

Hi Ulf,
Congratulations on the "smart" buy.
I might suggest you try an item called "Fourth Leg."  It is made by "Kirk" in
the USA and possibly others.  It attaches to one tripod leg and the bottom of
the cameras 1/4x20 hole.
It truly stabilizes the big lenses.  I even use it with my 85-250 and 300mm
Zuks.
I have seen a large Studioball that should be a nice alternative to the Arca
Swiss.  I heard that the Studioball was once (and maybe still is?) made by
Arca Swiss.  Also, you may look at Foba.  But, once you compare them to the
Giant Arca Swiss - Well, lets just say, thats why the others are $200 less!
Good Luck,
Buddy Walters