[OM] rangefinder resolution

Subject: [OM] rangefinder resolution
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:25:14 -0500
Matthias Wilke wrote

>The Pentax 645N (AF) I have looked at recently. It's a very nice camera.
An
>M6 I have not tried till now, but I tried the Mamiya 7, which is similar
>he M6 in medium format, I think. The viewfinder of the Mamiya 7 was great
>(really great). The M6 is lately available with a virtual viewfinder
>magnification of 0,85 (instead of 0,72, remember the 0,92 of the OM-2 or
>the 0,57 of Contax G1 and G2). Is it right, that focusing with cameras
like
>M6 and Mamiya 7 gets the more difficult, the longer the used focal lenth
is
>? I think the longest focal length of the M6 is 135mm and of the Mamiya 7
>is 150mm. What is the left virtual magnification with these tele lenses ?
>think, at one time there were attachments for the M series available for
>use of longer tele lenses (Visoflex).  BTW is it normal, that an Olympus
RD
>focuses a little bit beyond infinity, or is it necessary to adjust the
>meter. The metered distances are reasonable though.

>Matthias

Matthias, I chose an Olympus SLR (OM1) 23 years ago as it was the SLR "most
rangefinder Leica sized". I have a Leica M3 (magnification 0.91) and M6
(mag .72). I must admit I still use the Leicas for 800f the time. The
Olympus viewfinder is the only SLR comparable IMHO.
The magnification of the Leicas remains the same for every focal length
lens, as does the focusing precision. This means that it focuses better
than the OM1s at wide angle and up to, I am told, 90mm (though I imagine an
SLR focuses fast lenses better than slow so the crossover point depends on
aperture also). The magnification of my OM1 also obviously is less with
wide angle and more with long focus lenses so comparisons are difficult.
The focusing aids on an SLR screen (except the ground glass) are prisms
pointing outwards. Their orientation varies depending on the screen in use,
but the standard ones are set to "look through" a f5.6 aperture. The
equivalent rangefinder base therefore changes with the lens, but is always
rather small. I think focusing precision is much more accurate using the
ground glass, particularly with fast lenses.
The visoflex is very dim and slow to use, but fun from time to time. No
modern lenses fit. The Leica ones were state of the art in the 50s & 60s
but not as good as their current R telephotos. The viewfinder is no
substitute for the OM1. I also have OM4Ti, Mamiya 7 (got it recently it
seems really good, light, quiet and vibration free) and EOS1n (quite good
results but lousy ergonomics, feel and weight)

In a nutshell my favourite SLR is still Olympus. I prefer the M6 to all the
others but the Oly is much more satisfying to carry and use than the EOS
and much better for ttl flash and macro also.
Cheers Frank