Re: [OM] OT: lens test archive III

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: lens test archive III
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 09:49:58 +0200
>A most interesting site.  Thanks for the URL!  Perhaps some Zuikos will get
>tested in time, since it's an actively growing site.
>
>The highest rated lens tested to date (a 4.8 rating) is the Canon EF 200mm
>f/1.8L and the lowest (a 0.3 rating) is the Tokina AF 35-300mm f/4.5~6.7 zoom.
>The Cosinas that were tested are a rather poor lot.  Too bad Olympus has them
>making their S Zuiko zooms, although I suspect List members will be favorably
>impressed when I post the 35-70mm f/3.5~4.8 S Zuiko lens test results.  (They
>look good under a loupe!)
>
>Gary Reese

But the Cosina 19-35mm is quite good (3,1). Among those extreme wide angle
lenses there is one very good, I would have never thought about, the Tamron
20-40/2,7-3,6. It achieved a value of 3,7. Why have I ever sold my Tokina
AT-X 90mm 1:2,5. I knew that is was very good, but a test value of 4,6,
that is among the very best even macro lenses! It's interesting, that
sometimes the decent versions (AT-X 80-200 or AT-X 100-300) are better than
the older ones, but often the opposite is the case (for example the Canon
20.35/2,8 is better than the Canon 17-35/2,8). Further I find it
interesting, that Leica has indeed a very hight average rating, but has as
highest value 4,6 while Contax has one or two with 4,7 and Canon has one
4,8. The best 20mm tested is surprisingly the Pentax FA, while the average
of Pentax is not so good (but they have excellent 85mm 1:1,4 lenses (the A
version was tested, but the FA version is also said to be excellent). Also
the medium format section is interesting, but they have not tested Bronica
till now. An interesting feature of this site is, that you can select
searching fields (a brand with all its MTF tested lenses for example) and
then let you show the search results as a chart. It's really an interesting
web site.

Matthias