[OM] Just another day at the office

Subject: [OM] Just another day at the office
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 20:25:55 +0100
Hi OM-lovers (and Ken N ;-)

The other day a fellow workmate brought with him something I reckon every
member of this list would drool on, an OM2 as BRAND NEW. Absolutely no
marks, no brassing, nothing that even hinted that this camera ever had been
used.
It was a gift to him from his parents in 1980, who bought it tax-fee in
Saudi Arabia together with a 50/1.8 and a 24/2.8. Of course the lenses were
as new, also. The latter had been on the body ONCE (!).
"Just checked so it would fit. I don't photograph, my wife does, but she
thought it was so hard to adjust everything on this one. I don't think we've
used it for 15 years". Hmm.

The body was solidly locked up, mirror and all, and upon examining the
batteries it turned out they had NEVER been replaced! "I didn't know there
where batteries in it". Sigh. Loads of fungi were present in the battery
compartment together with SR44's 19 years of age.

As the camera obviously has great sentimental values for it's owner, he
refuses to sell it. OTOH, this is no camera for me, I use my stuff
extensively, this one I could never actually use. It would have to go on
display together with china and stay there, which is not really my cup of
tee.

New batteries are on their way, we'll see if that cures the mirror and
shutter lock up or if it has to be CLA'd.

Ulf Westerberg