Re: [OM] digital back

Subject: Re: [OM] digital back
From: svtbrad@xxxxxxxxxx (Bradley Mabb)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:39:22 -0800
>Just a random thought - what would the market be, and what is the
>feasibility of, a "digital back" which converted a classic SLR to a
>digital camera?
>
>Clearly, the form factor is all wrong for systems based on floppy disks,
>and some of the glitzy controls on current digital cameras would disapper
>- but it would make for an interesting beast, no?
>
>Can't be any harder than designing and producing a "Polaroid back".
>
>How much would *you* pay for one?

      Hi Ken,

       If you're thinking about being the first to do this, too late. There's
     a company that's already "on the verge" on delivering such an item. It was
     supposed to be released on the world last summer (indeed, one customer of
     ours says he's seen them advertised). But according to their website,
     they've been delayed to later this year.
      I'm sorry, but I don't recall the company name offhand. But I forwarded
     the info to our digital dept who's been checking in on it from time to
     time. As you can imagine, there are folks drooling at the thought of
     shooting digitals through their 35mm SLR equipment. If they DO succeed
     in producing such an item, they'll have no problem selling it.
      If you'd like the company name (&website), I'll get it my next day at
     work.

                                           enjoy,
                                            Brad

     PS: ORIGINALLY, I heard it would be about $1000.