Re: [OM] OM-10 questions

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-10 questions
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:15:58 +0100
Tomoyuki Kumagai wrote:

:I am new to this list.

Welcome.

:May I ask you questions? I have a Metz 32Z-1 Strobe, but if the OM-10
supports TTL flash
:metering capability, I may think about getting T32 or T20. Does OM-10
support this
:capability?

Unfortunately it does not. But a T series flash will still give you two
extras that a non-dedicated Metz misses: a flash ready / flash ok (for
Normal Auto=compter flash mode) light in the viewfinder, plus automatic
setting of the 1/60 sync speed. Besides a T32 is more powerful than a Metz
32Z-1. The latter has a GN of 32 when the built in zoom adapter is set at
the 50mm posistion; its widest angle of coverage is 28 mm. The T32 however
has no built in zoom adapter, but immediately gives you a GN of 32 whilst
covering a 24mm lens. A 21mm adapter/diffuser and tele/zoom adapter are
available for this flash. The T20 is a cute flash that is very portable.

:And which high-end models (OM-1digit) supports TTL flash?

OM-2, OM-2n, OM-2Sp, OM-3Ti, OM-4, OM-4Ti. In the 2-digit family only the
OM-40 supports TTL/OTF flash.

:I am also interested in a portrait lenses. Any recommended lens with a good
"bokeh"
:rendering?

Any of the 85/2.0, 90/2.0 macro, 100/2.0, 100/2.8, 135/2.8 Zuikos make great
portrait lenses. The 90/2.0 macro and 100/2.0 are top lenses; they also
allow you to focus at closer distances (40 cm. / 70 cm.). My personal
favourite is the 85/2.0 that is easier to handle in low light conditions
with available light shooting.

:I like Zuiko 50mm F1.8, but sometimes out-of-focus portion of an image
(a.k.a. bokeh)
:gets somewhat nasty.(but.. hehe... Even a 1st generation Coll Summicron 5cm
1:2 gets
:nastier sometimes... I prefer slower Elmars, since newer lenses are too
expensive and I
:never tried) I would like to know if the F1.4 and F1.2 variation of the
Zuikos are pretty much
:the same way, or a lot better.

The out of focus effect of the 50/1.2 wide open at relatively short
distances can be compared to tele lenses. Annoying background elements can
completely disappear. The 50/1.2 lens is better than he 50/1.4.

:Are there any legendary Zuikos that I may fall in love with?

The Zuikoholic answer would of course be 'all of them'. But for a starter,
how about the legendary 40/2.0 'pancake' lens?

Hans