Re: [OM] Changing focusing screen

Subject: Re: [OM] Changing focusing screen
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:07:29 EST
In a message dated 2/16/99 2:58:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
red_rover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< My OM-1 MD came with a focusing screen I'm not too crazy about (the one
 with the grid lines), and it also happens to be quite dirty, and compressed
 air is not having any effect. How would I go about taking the screen out to
 clean/replace it?  A special tool of some sort? Should I cough up the dough
 to have it done professionally? Thanks. >>

Frank,

Changing the screens on your OM-1 is an easy task. If you remove the lens and
look at the top front just inside th elens mount there is a little tab. Pull
the tab out and the screen and it's frame drop down. You can then remove the
screen, preferably with a pair of tweezers. If you don't like the screen
anyway, you may just want to get a new one. There is a whole slew of screens
available. For general purpose photoggraphy (whatever that is) I like the 1-14
(central diagonal split image with microprism collar). The 1-13 is similar but
the central split image is horizontal. The 2- series screens (2-4 and 2-13)
won't fit your OM-1 without modification, and will affect the meter reading.
New screens come with a small brush for cleaning, and a special tweezer tool
for exchanging the screens.

Hope this helps,

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI