Re: [OM] digital back

Subject: Re: [OM] digital back
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:31:12 GMT
On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:08:24 -0800, gma <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>RE digital backs:
>
>This AM, Frank van Lindert sent a URL to the list as a place to get more info
>on the new Olympus Camedia product.
>I went there and found something even more intersting to me.  Something that
>proves the technology is there to mate 35mm lenses to a digital back. **Nikon
>is doing it.**  They're releasing 'soon' a digital body based on F100/N90s
>which accepts Nikon lenses.  There're a couple of photos , showing what looks
>pretty much like a regular Nikon camera, but there's an LCD screen on the
>back.  (This is NOT the Kodak/Nikon $14000 DCS20.)
>
>***Olympus*** are you listening???
>
>I'm sorry, I'm at a different physical location than I was and I can't
>remember the website, but all should still have it somewhere in your e-mail.
>
>George

Interesting, George. I missed the Nikon but as a coincidence I wrote
about these developments to a nice German guy (list member too!) in
the Olympus digital software department in Hamburg. I quote from my
message to him - the last sentences are the most relevant here:

>I think the Camedia 1400XL price should be substantially _less_ than
>the about $900 (DM 1650) the C2000-Z sells for, even considered that
>this is a Japan price. Yodobashi is regularly visited now by some
>Olympus collectors I know... ;-)
>
>I expect the C1400XL / D620L at least in the US to sell for less than
>$650 in 6-9 months from now. Remember my prophecy on the price of the
>D600/C1400L, indeed going for $450-500 in the US now...
>
>I think the price development is going the same way as with other
>computer products, rather than that of other cameras. Many camera
>dealers will suffer losses because they are not used to this
>phenomenon.
>Maybe this is also the reason why so many of the digital cameras are
>sold through computer outlets rather than in camera shops: the latter
>simply can't afford to have them in stock if every year the prices are
>halved.
>
>I will wait and see what happens. Every day I wait and keep using my
>old (!) D-600 my next camera gets cheaper...
>
>There would be one exception. If any camera would appear on the market
>which can take my existing Zuiko lenses I would not hesitate and buy
>it. I am sure that this will happen sooner or later - if it isn't
>Olympus who does it than it will be another factory, making a camera
>which can be adapted to take the Zuikos and other brand high quality
>lenses. Or Imagek will do the long-promised thing and build a back for
>our OM's, but I am afraid we will never see that happen....

when giving my ideas on the price development I took into account that
probably very soon a new Olympus digital SLR will be marketed as well,
with 2.5M pixels.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.