Re: [OM] The 35mm vs. MF myth

Subject: Re: [OM] The 35mm vs. MF myth
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:42:39 -0500
<<I have always explained this away as the reduced magnification required by
larger formats to acheive the same finished size.  Are there other factors
involved in larger format lenses - optical properties, mechanical
considerations?  I don't know; I defer to those with more technological
know-how than I.  What I do know is with good technique, OM's and Zuikos,
one can produce very fine 35mm images that are better than mediocre
technique with any larger format.

John P>>

John,
You hit it with two arrows.
Finished size and Technique.

I have a little game I sometimes play when reading photo mags.
Mostly the ones from the UK where it seems you don't need a new Canon or
Nikon to get published.  Some times it shows up in Outdoor photographer.
Look at the photo and guess the format.
Even with the printed page I can hit it 750f the time.
I think it is because of the two reasons john stated.  Technique first.
Perhaps many 35mm scenics are hand held.  Not many MF shots are hand held.
That's a guess of course.  I was not there. :-)
Now finished size.  Most mag pics are around the same size.
Of course a 35mm needs to be enlarged.  Add to that the "sloppy" technique.
MF,= little enlargement and better technique.
They seem to have more depth and are more alive.
Going to large format does not seem to improve things much.
Unless it is perspective control.  There is just so much you can squeeze out
of
a printed page.
Going to originals and prints the difference will improve with 4x5 and 8x10
Now my point, (finally)!
Photography eventually gets to a crossroad where equipment becomes
less a matter of "the best stuff" and more a matter of "the right tool for
the job".

Please no pick the format challenges.  This is a casual observation.

Charlie Loeven
CPL49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx