Flash Colour Temperature (was Re: [OM] baby's coming - OM-1 flash recomm

Subject: Flash Colour Temperature (was Re: [OM] baby's coming - OM-1 flash recommendations)
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 17:05:47 +0100
:My question is: is the difference in colours between the two flashes
:noticeable? The colour temperature of Olympus flashes is 5800 K, a bit
:bluer than the usual 5500 K. The colour difference works out to
:0.4 decamireds, which supposedly is invisible.

Hmm, I never realised there is so much deviation in flash colour
temperature. Just checked some specs - the QA310, T20, T32 and F280 all give
5800K, while the T18 and Metz 32Z-1 produce 5600K. A Luxon flash I have
specifies a temperature range of 5600-5800K... And this mini slave flash I
described has no temperature specs at all.
I guess that if you want everything under control with slide film you may
need a colour temperature meter and decide if you want any sky light or warm
filter, depending on the film, the subject and the atmosphere you want to
create. Or you can wait untill Imageks EFS-1 digital insert is finally
available for proofing (EFS: Endlessly Forwarded Selling-date...).

Hans