Re: [OM] Fungi in my lens (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Fungi in my lens (OT)
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:07:18 +0000
In order to prevent fungus growing again it might be worth considering how you
store
your lenses.  I believe high humidity is the main factor leading to fungus
growth so
it is a good idea to store your lenses in conditions of low humidity.

This can be achieved by storing them in an air tight container with a suitable
desiccant such as silica gel.

My particular solution is to use a Pelican case.  They are available in various
sizes and are made of cross-linked polypropolene or a similar material.  Apart
from
being physically very tough they are also waterproof and air tight.

They come with a solid foam interior which can easily be torn along pre cut
lines
and so shaped to suit your equipment.

I keep some plastic capsules of silica gel in mine which a friendly chemist
saves
for me from her packages of pharmaeceuticals.

This way my camera 'bag" is my storage container and is a lot tougher and more
secure than a conventional bag.

Giles