Re: [OM] eyecup / glasses recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] eyecup / glasses recommendation
From: Mostaccio Francisco TECSIS <psimof@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 00:00:00 -0300
In the URL:

http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html#ques_P9

I did find east article, than such turn helps:

P9) What is the eye-relief like on the various OM's? How can I improve the
eye relief on my OM-4(Ti)?

        Which OM viewfinders are easy to see with glasses on?
        That is, which OM cameras have relatively long eye relief
        (high eyepoint)?  None of them is comparable to the Nikon F3HP.
        Michael Covington, a lifelong eyeglass wearer, finds the OM-1
        just adequate for use with glasses and the low-end OM's (OM-10,
        OM-F, etc.) more than adequate.  The eye relief of the OM-2,
        OM-3, and OM-4 is not so generous because Olympus added displays
        outside the picture area, requiring you to keep your eye closer
        to the camera in order to see it.  In the OM-4T, and perhaps
        others, it is easy for an eyeglass wearer to be totally unaware
        of the LCD display, which is not visible at all when looking
        straight at the picture area.

        You can increase the eye relief (eyepoint) of the OM-3 and OM-4
        so you can more easily see the display with your glasses on
        using one of the following three methods:

        (1) If your eyeglass prescription is fairly weak and you don't
            have astigmatism, consider using the camera with your glasses
            off, adjusting the diopter adjustment so you can see the
            viewfinder image clearly.

        (2) With your glasses on, turn the diopter adjustment as far
            *counterclockwise* as you can while maintaining a sharp
            image.  This will give you the maximum eye relief.

        (3) If you *really* want an improvement, do the following.
            This will not make the OM-4T into a Nikon F3HP, but it will
            at least put it into the same class as the Minolta SRT series
            or Nikon F3 non HP; you will be able to see *almost* the whole
            picture area and display with glasses on:

            (a) Get an eyeglass maker to make you a plano-concave lens,
                flat on one side, power -2.0D, plastic, rectangular,
                11.5 x 17 mm.  (Mine cost about $20.  Anti-reflection
                coated lenses are available at higher cost.)

            (b) Using sandpaper, round the corners of the plastic lens
                and reduce its size slightly so it will press-fit into
                the OM-4T eyepiece frame.  Round one of the corners more
                than necessary so you will have room to pry the lens out
                if you need to do so in the future.

            (c) Clean the lens and press it into the eyepiece frame.
                (Do not use the Olympus diopter lens holder; the whole
                point is that you must add this lens without taking up
                any further space.)  *CAUTION*:  The glass window at
                the back of the eyepiece frame is very easily broken;
                don't push the lens in so far that it touches it.

            (d) Turn the diopter adjustment all the way counterclockwise
                and leave it there.

        The result:  A significant increase in eye relief; a slight
        decrease in viewfinder magnification (but it's still much greater
        than the Nikon F3HP); and you can no longer use the diopter
        adjustment (the image is fixed at -1 D, same as the OM-1).

        Thanks to "Michael A. Covington" <covington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>