Re: [OM] OM4Ti OTF metering

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti OTF metering
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:29:44 EST
OK, putting on my research hat, here is my primary reference of film
reflectance in relation to metering tolerance in the OM-2 and subsequent OTF
metering cameras  (from The Olympus Way, p. 115):
***
The exposure meter system [referring to the OM-2] only has to be programmed to
allow for the film speed and for a standard film reflectivity.  Various tests
by Olympus, by other camera manufacturers studying film reflection metering
and by independent reviewers suggest that the reflection characteristics of
most films likely to be used in the OM cameras are remarkably consistent.  The
source of error contributed by film variations thus appears to be rarely more
than +/- 1/3 lens stop and often much less.
***
One of the independent reviews that L. Andrew Mannheim cites is probably
Modern Photography's original OM-2 "Modern Tests"  If memory serves me right,
he was an editor or European correspondent to Modern Photography in the
1970's.  If anyone has that review, there is probably additional information
there.

Mannheim never addresses the question of what was considered average film
reflectivity at that time.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV