Re: [OM] Photo processors

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo processors
From: "Sean Chan" <sean@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 00:08:35 +0800
Cc: <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I believe the operator, or "printer person" as you call him/her, is
> the most important variable. An individual with high personal standards
> and a comittment to quality can make up for less than state-of-the-art
> equipment.

I truly agree with you. I have a friend who owns a 1 hr photolab and
unfortunately, he doesn't run it as well as it should be, and even with
my constant naging, his attitude is that "the general public will not
know or care much for the difference.".

He has the kind of machine that unfortunately doesn't give you the ability
to preview the frame before printing (i.e. completely automated). And for
cost saving purposes, he doesn't have all the colour channels for all the
films too. He calibrates it once every morning and is left like that for
the rest of the day. I won't be surprised if it's the same brand/type of
film.

Funnily, he's a Kodak shop and his machine cannot handle Royal Gold nicely.
Photos have a general tendency to "green". I must say after taking 5 rolls
of RG at a wedding, I wasn't impressed with the results. Sending the negs
to Fuji, turned out to have much better/realistic colours.

However, he doesn't need the colour channels if he was able to correct each
print at a time. Of course, without the preview screen, it will be a paper
wastage exercise unless he's able to read from the negatives directly.

Anyhow, at the end of the day, I've stopped giving him my negs. To wriggle
my way out of this akwardness (afterall he is a friend), I'm shooting
strictly chromes only - and as he doesn't do chromes, I can easily pass
my business onto someone else and get better results at the same time.

> Their ability to understand _my_ imagination and apply their craft to
> meet that vision is quite important. Those two are different, but maybe
> I'm just splitting hairs......

I've always wondered about that. Especially in B&W photography. How does
the printer know what mood to set (burn/dodge) in order to "highlight"
the subject appropriately. I guess if one was a good photographer and
able to compose the shot properly, the printer would immediately be able
to understand his/her the goals (i.e. read the photographer's mind) and
print accordingly.

> I am happy you have found a good photofinisher.  Not all 1-hour labs are
> bad, as not all "pro labs" are worth they premium they  generally charge.
> Stick with him.

Yes naturally excellent advice. Like any other profession, if one takes
pride in his/her work and treat it as a vocation results are usually
high quality.

> John P

Sean
--