[OM] Zuiko-holic at camera show. Must leave wallet at home!

Subject: [OM] Zuiko-holic at camera show. Must leave wallet at home!
From: "c.e. packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 16:19:57 -0600
        Working hard lately. I've been trying to keep up with the list. First,
this Zuikoholic came back from another camera trade show almost empty
handed. Picked up a 100/2.8, 9 maybe 9+, for a $100.00 and a Recordata
back 3 (unused,NIB, papers included) for $30.00. Plus a semi hard case
for $10.00 and a handful of lens/body caps.
        Olympus made a decent showing this time around quite a few bodies.
Mostly 1's and 2's showing varying degrees of wear. One OM-1n had a bad
case of the creeping fungi crud. The foam remnants and curtains aren't
supposed to turn green are they? A few XA's put in an appearance as
well. The real item I was after was another T-32 or a T-20 but none were
to be had.
        Zuiko lenses were far and few between aside from the 50's attached to
the bodies, one so-so 28/2.8 and the aforementioned 100. Yes, I looked
through the teleconverters (READING THE PRINTING CAREFULLY) no zuiko's
to be found. By the way, that teleconverter I bought last time locked up
with rust. Apparently someone had oiled it up just enough to make it
work for a while.
        The (real steal?) was an OM77-AF with 24mm, 28mm 50mm and a zoom or
telephoto lens (memory fails me) all for $140.00. (no manuals found, but
the seller says they're somewhere) The outfit looked very clean, some
dust, very little wear on the body and lenses. The only distinct problem
was the clip that holds on the battery cover had broken and a previous
owner used a screw to hold it in place. The fix didn't seem to interfere
with the display or operation. The price was VERY, VERY tempting but, I
don't know enough about the OM-77AF, longevity, reliability, etc. to
know and if I come home with another camera it won't be the couch I'm
sleeping on. I did get the seller's name and phone number. If anyone on
the list would like to pursue this item, please contact me OFF LIST. And
NO I do not know this seller and cannot attest to his business
practices.

[Comments on previous threads]
        Olympus class action: No. A terrible idea. Olympus has been very good
to us. Personally, I believe that if Oly was going to abandon the OM
line, they would have before now and concentrated more on marketing the
ZLR an P&S lines. Also, while their digital cameras are the best on the
market, Olympus knows that digital imaging is nowhere near ready to
compete with film! My gut is telling me to be patient, something good is
going to come out on the market in the near future. The closing of the
Illinois service center is probably a wise business decision on the part
of Olympus. Although, probably not for Oly-philes living in that area. I
would be much more worried if Olympus closed their east or west coast
centers. PS drop them a line and TELL them what you think!

        VuePro v. HP scanning software: Waiting for an opportunity to evaluate.
I did get a replacement film scanner from HP to try out. Boy, did it
have problems! Jagged images, the scan lines did not line up. It
reminded me of how older dot matrix printers would produce uneven
vertical graphic lines, if printing in bi-directional mode. So, it went
away and I'll keep the one I've got. More to follow, when time permits.

Ok, that's all the time I have for now. Sorry for the longish post.
I have to try out my OM-2n just back from John and a recently purchased
OM-2000. Damn Zuiko-holism, I LIKE IT, HA HA HO HO!!!!
There are some red tail hawks nesting on the roof of the office building
where I work. Also several pairs of canadian geese are nesting next to a
small pond near the building. I wonder what opportunities will arise?
Especially when the goslings (sp?) hatch and the hawks are hungry.

I MUST GO PLAY! BEFORE MONDAY!