Re: [OM] OM101 (OM88) help

Subject: Re: [OM] OM101 (OM88) help
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 09:58:40 +0200
>why you are such sure that this can´t be done?. I bought an OM77 which seem
>to suffer from the same problems. So I made my own thoughts about how to
>overcome this problem. As far as I understood from the behaviour of the
>camera with the AF lenses attached the lens cpu sends at least the
>minimum/maximum aperture and the distance (for the built in flash and for
>fill-in flash with the F280 I assume) ans maybe something else. So why not
>developing a circuit which connects to the body circuit with two dials for
>minimum and maximum aperture? This would allow to use any lens with
>constant aperture with full vf display.  I sent an email to Olympus to get
>the specifications for that interface but I received only standard answer
>42. Do you have the specifications of the lens interface of the OM77/88? In
>this case I will try to develop such a circuit.
>
>Wolfgang

Hallo Wolfgang,

I have tried this modification with the OM-101. My OM-101 has already the
manual adapter 2 with two dials for aperture and time. The modification is
simple, you have to remove the plastic cover and at the lens lock pin,
there is a switch. I have insulated this switch with tape and then
reattached the outer plastic cover (be careful not to tighten the screws to
much because of the plastic parts). So the viewfinder information is
visible with Zuikos. But it doesn't work correct in the following way: A
stopped down Zuiko doesn't behave in exact the same way as a PF or AF lens
with regard to an automatic chosen aperture value. This means, that the
preselected value isn't reached. The exposure seems to be done finally with
ADM, so the results will be o.k., but you can't preselect a aperture value
with Zuikos for flash photography for example. The Zuiko lenses seems to
need a full movement of the aperture shaft to stop down to the chosen
value. So I will remove the tape next time. The usability with PF and AF
lenses seems to be the same with the insulated switch, though.

Matthias