Re: [OM] Bizarre Zuiko Auction

Subject: Re: [OM] Bizarre Zuiko Auction
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:08:44 EST
In a message dated 2/20/99 9:12:53 PM EST, PCACala@xxxxxxx writes:

<<  Speaking about cheesecake advertising / marketing, at PMA, Samsung
 repeated their COMDEX approach of having dancing ladies on stage.  I fail to
 see the relevence to computing or photography, but there was quite the
 audience of men watching.   >>

Hi Gary,
Thank you for the report and insight on the PMA show, even though I would have
liked to hear it a bit differently re: OM system. (i.e.- New body, support,
etc.) but what you saw was somewhat encouraging anyway, IMO. Even though it
would be somewhat OT, I'm curious as to  the size of  Olympus' digital imaging
display area, and the number of support people they had there?

Reference your question of relevance of dancing girls at a photo show, the
fact that "there was quite an audience of men watching" apparently shows that
the companies believe the buyers of their products are mostly men, and if they
are correct, the relevance was there- all the men at the display area. They in
fact, may be correct, political correctness of their methods aside, in
targeting a male audience, as I assume that most members of this list, for
example, are men.
( Did I get an award for the most use of commas in the above two sentences?)

Reminds me of the days when at an auto show, the auto makers would dress
models in sequined evening gowns to stand on the turntable with the car, and
smile and gesture toward the car. The car buying public then was male
dominated, and there wre men six deep around the displays, even though if you
asked the model what size engine was in the car, you'd probably stump her, the
guys didn't care!

Some car makers still do this, although it's less and less each year.

Regards to all,
George S.