Re:[OM] PMA Show Report

Subject: Re:[OM] PMA Show Report
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:05:26 +0200
>image quality.  I have noted, however, that Oly Japan claims the C-2000Z's new
>f/2.0 lens has achieved to bring out the full properties of the new CCD with
>higher resolution.  It does make sense to me  that in order to get higher
>resolution images, more light is needed to get to the CCD.
>
>Would anyone have comments on this?
>
>Tomoko Yamamoto

In principle, the greater the maximal aperture, the greater the resolution.
This is obvious with microscope lenses, which have a so called numeric
aperture or with astronomic telescopes with their diameter. The greater the
numeric aperture (max. 1,4) of microscope lenses or the diameter of
astronomic telescopes, the greater the resolution. BTW, this is maybe an
explanation for the greater resolution of miniatur format lenses versus MF
lenses. The miniatur format lenses can have greater maximal apertures (for
example max. 1:0,7 with 35mm) than the MF lenses (max. 1:1,9).

Matthias