[OM] OT: sunlight effects

Subject: [OM] OT: sunlight effects
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:19:47 +0200
Hello,

just another off topic thought. If you take photos in the sunlight, these
are sometimes not very convincing. I have thought about the following: the
sunlight is quasi parallel light. If there are reflections of the sunlight
at small parts of the taken scene, they may produce an extreme small
effective aperture value for the lens. This reflections can occur at matte
or glossy surfaces, I think a great part of the light will be reflected in
the same angle as it reaches the surface, even the surface is matte. If the
reflecting points (there are many) are small and enough far away from the
camera, their reflected (parallel) light will reach the lens in a small
bundle which behaves as if the lens is extreme stopped down. So there are
probably diffraction effects which are visible (unsharp details). This is
just a thought of mine, maybe somebody has an opinion about it ?

Matthias