[OM] Camera Craftsman article on the OM-1

Subject: [OM] Camera Craftsman article on the OM-1
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 12:12:31 -0600
I just got several repair manuals off of eBay. Among them is a photocopy of
an article in The Camera Craftsman (two parts, May/June and July/August
1974). It's an excellent discussion of just how the little gem works.

The last two paragraphs sum things up:

"The tiny OM-1 appears to be everything its supporters claim - compact and
comfortable, sturdy and precise. And even though the shutter is purely
mechanical, it shows genuine innovation - all those conventional parts that
were redesigned to compress the camera's dimensions.

"Before starting this report, we had thought of the OM-1 as a natural second
camera - a camera that one could carry conveniently, always ready for that
unexpected picture. But the OM-1 deserves more than that; it's also a worthy
first, or only, camera. With its array of accessories, its full-frame 35mm
format, and its sturdy design, the OM-1 offers a formidable challenge to
bulkier 35mm systems. That's quite an impressive feat for such a tiny
camera."

Yeah. Shame the world didn't see it that way.