Re: [OM] .42x adaptor

Subject: Re: [OM] .42x adaptor
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:19:03 +0100
:I recently picked up a .42x  fisheye adaptor (Pro Optic, from
:Adorama), figuring that would be a cheap way to throw in the
:occasional fisheye novelty shot. While I like the fisheye
:prespective, I am unable to focus with it mounted on my S Zuiko 35-70
:F4. Is this just an artifact of using a fisheye, or did I pick up a
:lemon?

Mine (inscripted "skylight video semi-fisheye lens 0.42x - it looks the same
as the Hama converter) works well with several lenses. I only have a
46->49mm adapter ring for it, so I can test it only with selected lenses.
The 24/2.8 is the lens I normally use with the converter, and it works fine,
and so does the 28/2.8. Both produce a circular image like the 8mm/2.8
Zuiko; not with the same 180 degrees angle of view but still much wider than
my 17mm Tokina.
With the 50/1.8 and  85/2.0 I get a reduction in focal length, but not a
real fisheye effect. It even works with the 35-70/3.5-4.5 at all focal
lengths. But I don't have the 35-70/4.
I think it works best with the fixed focal wide angles, the shorter the
better. The longer the focal length, the more problems you get with the
edges being out of focus. But you must always stop down as much as possible.

Hans