Re: [OM] .42x adaptor

Subject: Re: [OM] .42x adaptor
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:39:55 +0100
:I believe that's it - the lens needs close focus. After holding it up
:to a couple of other lenses, I discovered that in fact, it focuses
:fine on lenses that focus close (including my 50/1.8), but the 35-70
:f4 doesn't focus close.

One other other thing about my .42x adapter. It actually exists of two
parts. The rear part is labelled 'macro', and it can be detached. When you
do so it is a stand alone close focus lens that provides extreme macro
effects. It turns the Zuiko 100/2.8 into a 2:1 macro lens, retaining the
F2.8 speed, focusing at about 10 cm. One day I'll do some tests with this
lens. I think it even might be an achromat (two lenses).
But this close focus lens has a second function: it is also part of the
optical construction of the fisheye converter! Without it, the converter
doesn't focus at all, not at any distance, not on any lens. When it's
attached, the converter focuses from very short distances to infinity, also
on lenses that don't have close focus capabilities by themselves (like the
85/2 and 100/2.8). So maybe yours is missing its original macro part and
maybe it will perform better with a close focus lens?

Hans