Re: [OM] digital potential

Subject: Re: [OM] digital potential
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:12:19 -0800
At 2008 x 3040 pixel resolution, the Kodak DCS 560 surely matches the
reproduction of silver-based units.  The limit is to what sized output?  At
2K x 3K, an 8 x 10 inch print is the upper limit.  After that, it becomes
easy to see the differences between an emulsion original and a digital one.

I routinely scan full-frame 35mm film at 2267 x 3400 pixles (2400 dpi) and
print 8 x 10's. I need an 8x loupe to tell which is the silver-based image,
and even then only in the finest details such as hair.  Scanning gives me
all the flexibility and joys of "real photography" <g> with OM's with the
added benefits of post-processing manipulation and printing digitally.  The
cost of a scanner and photo-quality printer is but a fraction of the price
of the DCS Kodak/Nikon (or Canon) hybrid.

Digital imaging devices might not follow Moore's Law, but it will be close -
maybe 24-30 months instead of 18.  It won't be long before we see 4K x 6K
devices you don't have to mortgage the farm for.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"

William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx> opined: