Re: [OM] 707,101 and 2000 and beyond (RANT)

Subject: Re: [OM] 707,101 and 2000 and beyond (RANT)
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 22:57:05 -0500
On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 19:12:19 EST, ClassicVW@xxxxxxx jammed all night, and by
sunrise was overheard remarking:

> In a message dated 2/25/99 6:24:20 PM EST, packardc@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> << In reference to (IRT) the OM-2000, I was under the impression that it
>  was designed by Olympus, but manufactured by Cosina.
>   >>

> I've heard that Olympus *designed* it, or they dictated the "specs" or did
> they just name what features they wanted it to have? I don't know if anyone
> knows for sure.

I believe the basic OM-2000 body is the same one Cosina uses for OEMed
models they make for Nikon, Canon, Vivitar, Yashica, and others.

In a traditional OEM deal, you approach your OEM manufacturer with a
specification for what you want. There may be some give an take, or it
may be a slam-dunk based entirely on an existing model. It's pretty much
up to the manufacturer how they meet your specs -- it could involve
sharing technology (when I was at Commodore Computer, we always OEMed our
monitors -- sometimes it was demanding custom casework, or analog RBG in
the days before VGA when everyone else ran 4-bit digital graphics, other
times something as simple as added a "right" speaker to go with the
"left" one standard in their existing unit).

It looks, based on the feature set of the other cameras reportedly based
on the same Cosina body (http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/sebastien/album
/clone2000.html)
that Olympus was fairly aggressive in getting the features they wanted,
such as spot metering, as long as it dropped nicely enough into the
design. Where Olympus would certainly have done things differently, such
as in the shutter speed control (an OM camera with the speed control on
top deck? Gimme a break, this is sacrilige), lack of compatibility with
winders (something even the OM-10 does right), non-interchangable
focusing screen, These functions would have impacted quite a bit on the
existing camera design, so they were not done.

--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One