RE: [OM] Focus '99

Subject: RE: [OM] Focus '99
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 22:17:46 +0000
John Gardner wrote:
>Aw Rich you sent this too late.
>
>I was at the Focus show on Sunday and didn't know you were there. For anyone
>interested, I checked out a load of used Zuiko glass and its absolutely
>holding its own in terms of prices against other optics. Jessops had a used
>21mm f/2 for a staggering 799GB Pounds ($1300!) and there were  many other
>lenses dotted around for really huge prices. I'm sitting on an absolute
>fortune!

Sorry John - I've been so busy preparing for the event I didn't get around
to mentioning it till Saturday!  I'm presently trying to relax before
another onslaught tomorrow.  Who says the chemical darkroom is dead?  Nova
broke their records on Sunday's trading, and to be honest, between about
11am and 4:30pm I was too busy to get away from the stand.  It's been at
least as busy today. (For non-UK Zuiks, Nova are one of our biggest
darkroom equipment and materials distributors as well as manufacturers of
the well known slot paper processors.)

There isn't much of that interesting Zuiko stuff left now.  I picked up a
reasonable MC 135/2.8 for 49 pounds ($80 ish) which I'm hoping  will be a
mite sharper than the 3.5 SC I have.  That was from Jacobs who also have
(as of closing time tonight) a 2x converter (99), a 200/4 (95) and a 16/3.5
(425).  Jessops have two 500/8 mirrors at 570 each, and another 16/3.5 at
675 (76 more than Shutters want for them *new*!) and a load of OM-10, 20,
1n, 2n and 2SP bodies.  There's not much unusual stuff - most of the
remaining lenses are the usual 28/2.8, 50/1.4 and 135/3.5 sort of thing.
It seems to me that there is a bit of a polarisation going on in Oly gear
among the dealers; some seem to price it highly, others seem to want rid of
it and price it accordingly.  The two 16/3.5s are a case in point.

>I spent 5K on a new 500mm f/4 AFS lens to go with my newly acquired F5.

5K on a lens??!    I should think you *are* in debt!

Cheers
Richard