Re: [OM] KEH and 35-70 3.5-4.5 Questions

Subject: Re: [OM] KEH and 35-70 3.5-4.5 Questions
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 13:39:56 +0100
BB wrote:

>  3) When the aperture ring is moved from 3.5 to 5.6 on the wide end
>  (35mm), the aperture closes slightly.

and GR replied:

:Is this what you really were trying to say?  You are describing the
:process of stopping a lens down.

No, what Barry described is the behaviour of this lens that when you turn
the zoom ring from the 70mm position towards the 35mm position, while the
aperture ring is not set at F3.5, you can actually see the aperture blades
close down a bit. This indeed looks strange, but mine does too. I've seen
this behaviour only once before: on a Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm/F2.8 lens.
The 35-70/3.5-4.5 only does it when it is stopped down. I think it might
have to do with something that really is a nice feature of this lens: once
you stop it down to F4.5 (which is marked by a white dot), the aperture no
longer shifts with focal length. Most variable speed zooms have a constant
aperture shift over the entire aperture range when you zoom them.

Hans