Re: [OM] Zuiko Safari Kit

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko Safari Kit
From: gma <geanders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 14:43:19 -0800
At 02:52 PM 3/4/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I'm thinking of going to Kenya to visit a friend this June.
<SNIP>
>It is clear I will need to get a lightweight tripod that can be stored in a
>backpack (I'm thinking of a Bogen/Manfrotto here since an Acra/Gitzo
>combination is quite pricey).  A photo pack/bag that I can slip under an
>airline seat (probably something in a LowePro, unless someone knows of a
>better solution).  Ah, but those selections are rather straightforward, the
>question of lenses is not...

I've carried on the LowePro Trekker I think it's called. Or Super Trekker.
Anyway, it's a photo backpack into which I get, let's see, 2 bodies and 9 or 10
lenses.

>Reading the lens recommendations of some purported nature photography experts,
>a good starting point is said to be a wide-angle zoom (roughly in the 28-100
>range)

This range is fine for nature and landscapes. Course it won't usually do too
much good for wildlife.

 and a telephoto zoom (roughly in the 100-300 range).  That is a fine
>recommendation, I suppose, if you are shooting C*n*n EOS.  There are no Zuikos
>zooms in the ranges.

There're 50-250 and 85-250 Zuikos

  I currently have only one zoom (75-150 f4) and no long
>primes.  Would I be well served by buying non-Zuiko zooms in the recommended
>ranges (Tokina, Sigma, et. al.) or buying Zuiko primes.  (Yes, I know the 350
>f2.8 is a fine lens, but I have a much smaller budget :-()

How about a Zuiko 300/4.5 plus a 1.4x  That's a fine combo at 420/6.3.  Of
course, for great wildlife shots a 500/4 is probably closer to the mark. The
only way to do that with Zuikos is change the 300/4.5 to a 350/2.8.  There are
some 3rd party lenses in this range for less money, but still 4 figures no
doubt.

>I originally thought the 200 f4/2X-A combination was a good option, but Gary
>R's test was underwhelming.  I have some non-Zuiko wide-angle lenses (28 and
>24) and these may suffice at the wide end.  The bodies I currently own (and
>will be taking unless the bargin OM-4(Ti) appears) are an OM-2 and an OMPC.
>Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Always good to have an all-mechanical camera along. (OM-1 or OM-2000)

>Kerry Frohling
>Fullerton, CA, USA
>
>P.S. Any suggestions on desitination within Kenya would also be appreciated.

Er, just stay away from the Hutus.

George