Re: [OM] OT: New Mamiya MF AF

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: New Mamiya MF AF
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 20:52:36 -0600
At 07:44 PM 3/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>OK Ken, this one's for you...
>
>Anyone with an interest in medium format might want to check out Mamiya's
>new autofocus medium format camera...

Ahem, maybe it might be time to rethink the Nikon F5 decision....

Let's see...   "Bevy"  I haven't seen that word used in an advertisement
for some time.
1/125 flash sync.  Not bad at all.  Torpedos the Pentax right there.
Focus confirmation for older lenses.  Good.
Interchangeable backs.  Very good.
Eco-Glass.  I want my lead and arsenic back!  First the mercury batteries,
now this!  Aaaahhhh!

They didn't mention how slow the winder is (FPS) nor how fast/quiet the
lens motors are.  I just hope they are better than Pentax's tubs.  You
could wake the dead with them.

So far, what I've seen in this press release and with the Pentax is first
generation 35mm-AF being incorporated into medium format.  Wheras the
pro-35's have gone onto multi-spot focusing with tracking and
vertical/horizontal sensors and variations on the ultrasonic motor theme,
these 645AF models seem to be lacking a bit in that department.  I do like
the data imprinting on the medium format models though and I believe that
the Pentax even records which lens was used.

One thing I'm not understanding though is why attention hasn't been given
to the noise factor in the medium format cameras.  Of course the jury is
still out on the Mamiya and I haven't seen the Contax yet (drool), but the
trend is to make medium format equipment noisy these days.  When doing
weddings, the last thing I need is "whiz-wee-beep-beep-KERPUNK-honk-whir"
happening on every shot.  "...Do you take this man as your lawfully wedded
whiz-wee-beep-beep-KERPUNK-honk-whir?"  "...Do you take this
whiz-wee-beep-beep-KERPUNK-honk-whir as your lawfully wedded wife?"  "You
may now whiz-wee-beep-beep-KERPUNK-honk-whir the bride."  "I now present
you as husband and whiz-wee-beep-beep-KERPUNK-honk-whir.

Ken (whiz-wee-beep-beep-KERPUNK-honk-whir) Norton

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx
(515) 791-2306