Re: [OM] I need info on a Starblitz 500-800mm Zoom mirror lens

Subject: Re: [OM] I need info on a Starblitz 500-800mm Zoom mirror lens
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 00:55:27 -0800
Hmmmm.....not sure I agree with assertion that f/8 and f/12 are ok for auto
racing photography.  I have a bit of experience in this specialty and have
found there is absolutely no substitute for big, fast glass.  Working at f/8
means fast film to get the high shutter speeds you need.  If you can live
with ISO 800-1000 film, that's fine.  I like to use ISO 100 when I can and
never go faster than 400.

Also, longer than about 400mm gets *very* hard to hand-hold and get good
results.  An 800mm is a looooooooooong lens to keep steady by hand.  A
tripod, again in my experience, is out of the question at a race.  It's just
too cumbersome and the action too fast.  A monopod can work, sometimes, if
you are parked in one spot.

I have gotten my best race photos with a 300, with and without a 1.4x t/c,
or shorter.  Ultra-long lenses compress depth of field so much, and manual
focus is so touchy, good focus is very hard to achieve.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"