Re: [OM] Help capturing the US Grand Prix in 2000.

Subject: Re: [OM] Help capturing the US Grand Prix in 2000.
From: svtbrad@xxxxxxxxxx (Bradley Mabb)
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 08:39:46 -0800

   Hello Peter,

     You'll want big AND fast for the racing shots.
     BTW, have you ever done this (racing photography) before? If not, and you
   want to do well with THIS race, you might want to practice ahead of time. Try
   photographing other races. Things happen quickly. The more experienced
you    are the better your chances at good shots.
     My sister photographs funnycar racing (top alcahol). Although she's never
   had any formal photographic training, she does very well borne out of ex-
   perience alone. She even had one of her pics as the cover of a Mickey
   Thompson racing parts catalog one year! I went out with her once while
   visiting. It's alot harder than it looks. My first attempt at it paled next
   to her stuff.
    She uses a 28-200AF btw (on an old Minolta 7000!). But two things are
   different in her case. First of all, she has full access to the track. She
   can stand pretty much wherever she wants. Secondly, in drag photography,
   they mainly are looking for good burnout shots, ie "static" shots. The whole
   thing is over in a few seconds.
    A couple people I know that photograph racing at our nearby Sears Point have
   a hint or two. They find a good point (again, experience gives them the
   advantage of knowing where to be), then focus on the track at that point.
   Then they find something beyond that point (inline with it) they use as a
   marker. When the car or cars break that line of vision, they know they're in
   the pre-focused point.
    Hope some of this helps. And good luck :)

                                                  brad