Re: [OM] Help with lenses for capturing the US Grand Prix in 2000. (orig

Subject: Re: [OM] Help with lenses for capturing the US Grand Prix in 2000. (originally the Starblitz 500-800mm Zoom mirror post)
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 12:14:44 -0800
I wouldn't leap to that conclusion just yet; it is what works for me, YMMV.
There are three keys to success in shooting motorsport - location, location
and location.  If you have a standard spectator position in the stands, you
are basically hosed.  I've shot F1, NHRA, SCCA, NASCAR and IndyCar from such
positions and you have to get really lucky to have anything worthwhile to
show for it.  It can happen, but the odds are very much against you.

For the F1 Indy2000 event, access is going to be terribly hard to get.  You
need to be able to roam some and get as close as possible.  Mr. Eccelstone
will charge you dearly for that.  As a single data point, work the inside of
corners, not the outside.  It is a better angle and a *bunch* safer.  At
180MPH, you do not have time to duck when things go bad for the driver.  A
300mm, 1.4x and 2x teleconvertors will be helpful.  A motor drive is almost
required - a winder is passable.  Someone (Ulf ??) recently found an
excellent performer in the 400mm class (was it a Tamron?) that you may want
to look into.  The 500mm Zuiko mirror is praised by many as an excellent
performer.  Another list member had some outstanding wildlife images from a
big mirror lens - they do work if you have a good one.

Find ways of getting access and having mobility, location is more important
to good results than equipment.  Your shooting locations will determine what
optics are useable.  I have been fortunate enough to develop a relationship
with the local newspaper to obtain press credentials for NASCAR events.
This gets me full access not only to the track but also to the pits, paddock
and garage areas.  I'll be shooting the Darlington race here is a few weeks.
Begin a bodybuilding regimen for your left arm - that big tele gets real
heavy about three quarters of the way through the race <g>.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"