Re: [OM] What would be a good lens for astrophotography?

Subject: Re: [OM] What would be a good lens for astrophotography?
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 12:28:41 -0800
>From race cars to stars......
You can do meaningful astrophoto with very humble equipment.  Once again,
location is the key.  You need *dark*, and that is much harder to come by
than you might think.  Light pollution is your enemy and it is nearly
everywhere.  Find a dark site first.

As for how-to's, Michael Covington has a terrific book on astrophotography -
get it and read it twice.  Then build up in steps.  Do some wide field shots
with a 50mm or 90-100mm lens on a tripod.  The Oly f/2 macros are quite good
for this type of imaging.  Learn films and exposures for your sky.
Everyone's milage varies.  Do a search on the web for plans to build a
device called a barn door.  This simple device will allow exposures up to
10-15 minutes when used with short lenses.  As focal length and exposure
time increase, so does the need for guiding - the art and science of moving
the camera at exactly the same rate as the earth's rotation.  Fast films (>=
ISO 400) and fast optics (<f/6) help keep exposures shorter.  Hypering film
to boost speed and improve reciprocity characteristics are way beyond the
realm of a beginner.  Most of the best astro shooters out there use
refractors, not Schmidt-Cassigrain designs.  The SCT's primary mirror tends
to move around over extended periods causing all sorts of unwanted effects.

Finally, join the Astro Photographers Mailing List (APML) and listen a lot.
It is a very friendly group, much like this one and there is a lot of
knowledge and experience there.

Good luck in your pursuit of the stars,

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"